Thursday, July 08, 2010

25 Random Things...

25 Random Things About Me...

1. I was born as a preemie at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta, GA. I was born to teenage parents, Craig & Sharon, and was born during my mother's spring break. What a miracle. God has his hand in my life from the very beginning. "Before I formed you in your mother's womb, I knew you..." (Jer. 1:5). I was born at 26 weeks, weighing in at 2 lbs, 11 ounces, and my delivery happened to take place at a hospital with a neonatal intensive care unit. This type of care was not available in 1971 at Maury Regional Hosptial in Columbia, TN (my mother's hometown). I moved a dozen times in my first 8 years, before I came to live with my grandparents permanently in 1979.

2. Columbia Military Academy was purchased by the churches of Christ and opened its doors in 1979-1980 school year. I attended this small, private, Christian high school and made some more wonderful, lifelong friends. Played basketball in 7th & 8th grade – but became a ladies basketball manager in 10th, 11th, 12th grades instead. To this day, I cannot watch an NBA game without mentally logging the assists...

4. I attended & graduated from a Christian university…loved it…made more lifelong friends…worried too much about grades and tried to maintain a long distance relationship with my high school boyfriend...heart was broken 2 years after high school…majored in psychology & thought I wanted to go to medical school..(afraid to take the MCAT exam)...met my mate at Lipscomb...planned a wedding, worked 2 full time jobs, and attended graduate school and completed my Master's Degree in Counseling...decided to take "a year off" from school...then try for medical school...1 year become 2, then here comes Stephanie with a baby carriage...never did go back to finish requirements for medical school..chose another dream instead.

5. Got my best job(s) ever at Tennessee Children's Home, Spring Hill Campus…worked there for 8 years…made more lifelong friends…my darling husband changed jobs, joined the Navy and we moved from TN to SC moved on to my current most favorite job, stay-at-home mom.

6. Have moved 4 times in six years. Moved from Atlantic Coast (SC) to Pacific Northwest (WA) then back to Atlantic Coast (VA) and returned to SC. I love being a Navy wife. I have seen so many wonders of our our beautiful country and have met so many fascinating people, and made more life long friends. I love it…

7. The domestic chore I dislike most is vacuuming (not crazy about scrubbing tubs & showers either). I would love to have enough money to be able hire a cleaning service for 1X a month so that I could maintain a clean household, get a deep cleaning at least once a month, and then enjoy "the joys of life instead of focusing on the chores of life". (Wonderful Quote Chris!)

8. I love to read (the library is one of my favorite places to go), cook (especially love to grill in the summertime, or cook on a campfire), watch movies (family movie night is a weekly must), be with my kids & Darling husband (not easy to spend time with my DH, he is usually deployed, on duty rotation, or shiftwork), spending time with my kids, travel, (mostly road trips), I also love, love, love music – especially listening to my sons and children sing, truly a gift from God.

9. I love JET NOISE...I miss our previous duty station. We lived in Virginia Beach for 3 years and lived only 5 minutes from the beautiful beach/Atlantic Coast. Our oldest son aspires to be a Naval Aviator, our second son wants to be a photographer and we have to wait and see what our toddler will aspire to be (professional golfer perhaps?). I will do everything within my power to help all of our sons attain their goals and make their dreams a reality!

10. I live in the area of historic Charleston. We live in a beautiful community and our neighborhood street is indeed a blessing. There is such a wonderful sense of community and family. Also, we are members of a fabulous church and cub scout pack & troop. Most of our extracurricular activities center on home, church and scouts.

10. When I first met my husband, I wasn’t interested at all, I had my own personal/emotional baggage I had to deal with...and after a while (and lots of cognitive therapy!) my heart found the capability to love again…I got lucky.

11. My favorite Christmas gift was a Barbie dream house. I played with my Barbies every afternoon while watching Scooby-Doo Cartoons from age 8-13. We moved to the Nashville Hwy when I was 13 and Barbie was never unpacked from the moving boxes. Thought I would have the opportunity to play with her when I had a daughter of my own. Gave birth to 3 sons. Barbie will have to wait.

12. My sons are the first male Strunks born in over 20 years. I do not have any relationship with my biological father or my maiden name. I love the fact that my husband's parents celebrate annual reunions every year. Strunk family reunion takes place every September, the weekend after Labor Day. Last time our family was able to attend a Strunk family reunion in Morton, IL was in 2002. His mother's reunion (Osborne) takes place the last weekend in June. The last Osborne reunion we attended was in 2007. Hope to make the Osborne family reunion in 2012.

13. I love listening to my 2 year old learn new vocabulary words, and practice his numbers, colors and alphabet letters. My new favorite word is "Zumba". Our 2-year old loves to Zumba and I love how he says it!

14. I am terrible at most athletics, but I do enjoy Wii Bowling. Recently was introduced to Golf toss. It is a fun outdoor activity for our family. I also enjoy Boche ball.

15. My favorite indulgence is dark chocolate Reeses cups. I treat myself once a week during family movie night. Perfect with a Coca-cola and buttered popcorn!

16. If I had more money I would also indulge in a monthly, manicures and pedicures. Of course, on a more practical note, my personal goal in the next 3 years, is to be able to afford to send all 3 of our children to a private Christian school.

17. Our firstborn son has the personality of his father, our second son is just like me, and our third son is a perfect blend of both. All three have their father's eyes, and I love that.

18. My oldest son loves music, sings in the chorus and plays piano. He will be attending a Middle School for the arts this fall. Our second son is a natural athlete. I hope we can find a local baseball team for him..and I can't wait until our youngest son is old enough to start golf lessons...right now, he swings with his left.

19. I pray that my children will always have a compassionate heart, a life-long faith in God, life-long friends, and I have been praying for their mates since the day they were born. I highly recommend "The Power of a Praying Parent" by Stormie OMartian.

21. The Lord has blessed me with a 3500 sq foot house. We built it with teenage sons in mind (I want them to them to have the opportunity to host their friends. Some of my best moments in high school occurred between my house and Ricky's). I pray that my lifelong friends will find an excuse to travel to see us...we have guest rooms ready!

22. My 40th birthday is approaching. I want to celebrate all year long. I want to visit Seattle and visit with all my Lake Stevens ladies, indulge in a Dark Chocolate Dilettante mocha from Espresso Connection, visit the Public Market, and all the sights in the city of Seattle. I want a birthday party with all my childhood & high school friends, to go to Walt Disney World, see a Broadway show in New York, have a ladies weekend with my mom.

23. I have never been a dog person. There was Snoopy, my grandmother's dachshund, when I was a young child. His back went out and had to be put to sleep. My next dog was a rescue pup from a Maury County Shelter...Pooh Bear...was a gift for my 25th birthday...lived with us for six years, and then moved in with my inlaws in 2002...Pooh Bear passed away in 2009. We met an adorable black Lab puppy on June 26. I had recently read the book, "Marley & Me", and of course, called him "Marley". I immediately was drawn to this pup, the runt of the litter (of 9). Have been reading and researching Labs, and the cost of dog ownership. Tossing and turning trying to decide if we want to add a dog to our family. Of course, Michael and our 3 boys are all for it; I am afraid of the expense to care and own a dog. And of course, I know my grandmother would never approve. I'm a 39 year old woman, and I still seek her approval.

24. I adore Walt Disney World. Our family are members of the Disney Vacation Club. I have visited the happiest place on earth, but one day, I want our family to experience Adventures by Disney; either the "Spirit of America", or "Discovery Down Under".

25. Inside each of us, our truth compass resides. I wish true peace within my husband. He wants to keep the peace and avoid ugly confrontation. Just the mere mention of the term "sister" and my husband emotionally shuts down. His family doesn't even realize, or choose to ignore it, to keep the "pseudo-peace". I pray for him to deal with the problem that is causing the unrest and disharmony, so that peace will follow.


26. I wish I had started Facebook, oh, and Silly Bandz.

No comments: