Thursday, July 08, 2010

A Jog Down Memory Lane

It is quiet in the house right now. Our youngest son is asleep, and our older 2 sons are attending Cub Scout Resident Camp at Camp Ho Non Wah.

The draw of Facebook is a daily habit. Thanks to this social network, I have reconnected with friends, family and teachers, some of whom I have not seen in 30 years! I am reminded of my own mortality. It has been 21 years since I graduated from high school. Thankfully, the majority of my classmates are close friends, and we have managed to see each other at least once per year since our graduation day in May 1989.

My 40th birthday is around the corner...just 8 short months from now. I have been taking my own personal journey down memory lane. It began with my 20th high school reunion in May 2009, continued with reconnecting with past friends on Facebook, and continued when my aunt found my high school graduation ceremony on a VCR tape this June.

As I watched the frames of the film, and looked at the innocent 18-year old girl on the screen, how I wish I could share with her the wisdom of the past 21 years. In 1989, the world was my oyster. I was a teenager in love, and headed to college, excited for my life journey to begin. Time seemed to move too slow.

And now, time is moving quickly. So quickly, it is a daunting task for me to keep up. I am no longer just looking forward. I catch myself looking back. I need a good pair of tennis shoes. This jog down memory lane is going to take a while.

No comments: